Sunday, July 29, 2018

Eighth Year of Projects - Week 5



Another week another finish!!  Don't expect this rate to continue!  The next round of Tour de Sock finishes up on Tuesday and I managed to finish my Odensjön Socks on Saturday!  I love the design but they are too small for my big feet.  I think I may give them to a co-worker for her birthday in August - I suspect she is knit worthy!  She did give me some raw fleece from her son's sheep (which I still have to work with!)  Here are the socks (there is a noticeable difference in the color of the yarn from one end to the other of the skein...):


It is a bit of a short post this week.  I basically spent all my spare time on my Tour socks!  I did do part of one little mitered square on my sock yarn scrap-ghan.  I plan to work on it a bit more this afternoon.


I'm not sure how much progress I will make over the next two weeks.  We are driving up to Manitoba (home) for a quick visit.  It will be four days of driving, a week visit, and four days driving back.  I am picking up some antiques from my Mom's place so we need our car to transport them!  I am bringing back a vase my grandmother painted back in the 1940s (or there abouts), an old Singer sewing machine in the original cabinet, and the best part - my great grandmother's spinning wheel (plus a bunch of things that go with it - a carder, a drum carder, bobbins, and some other stuff that I will investigate more).  I am not sure just how old the spinning wheel is, but Mom thinks she brought it to Canada from Iceland when she moved in the early 1900s (around 1905 if memory serves me right).  You can bet I will be posting pictures of all this goodness once I am back.  I hope to get the sewing machine and the spinning wheel functioning again!  The wheel likely has not been used since the 1950s and Mom said there is a little belt missing, but thinks the rest is good.  We shall see!!

I'll try to post while I am away, but I really don't think I will have much knitting time even though I will be taking along what I need to cast on the next socks for the Tour (which will be released on Tuesday evening).  I will be doing most of the driving - we prefer it that way :)

11 comments:

  1. Your socks are lovely and it sounds like your co-worker is indeed knitworthy. Enjoy the trip home, it sounds like you will be bringing back lots of lovely items and I can't wait to see pictures of it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, sounds like you will be bringing back some real treasures. How exciting for you.

    I think your socks have such character and I am sure your co-worker will be super pleased with the gift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those socks turned out beautifully, Karen. Your co-worker will be receiving a very nice gift. And safe travels! The items you'll be bringing back sound like wonderful items. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucky co-worker! Your socks are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The socks are great - a nice classic pattern!

    Have a safe drive and a good week there. I hope the spinning wheel is in good nick so that you can have some fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely socks! I'm sure your co-worker is knit worthy if she has access to fleece and sheep....I thinkit rubs off on people. I am so excited about your trip and your family heirlooms! Enjoy it all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the socks, especially the texture. Have a safe trip and enjoy your family heirlooms.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your socks are lovely inspite of the difference in colour. And you got me all curious about that spinning wheel. Have a safe trip!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The socks are lovely and will make a lovely present. Have a great trip, the items you are collecting sound amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The socks are lovely, what a wonderful present.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't wait to see your grandma's spinning wheel. How exciting for you.

    ReplyDelete