Wednesday, April 25, 2012

3rd Annual Knitting and Crochet Blog Week - Day 3



Our prompt for today:
Your Knitting Or Crochet Hero Blog about someone in the fibre crafts who truly inspires you. There are not too many guidelines for this, it's really about introducing your readers to someone who they might not know who is an inspiration to you. It might be a family member or friend, a specific designer or writer, indie dyer or another blogger. If you are writing about a knitting designer and you have knitted some of their designs, don't forget to show them off. Remember to get permission from the owner if you wish to use another person's pictures.

I have many knitting and crochet heros!!  For a start - anyone who designs patterns is my hero!  This is something I aspire to (more on that another blog week day)  But if I had to narrow it down to just a couple (for space considerations here) my first hero would be Barbara Walker and her Learn to Knit Afghan book.  This book taught me a LOT!! I spent three years working on this afghan (in fits, not continuously) and I finally finished the afghan.  I am quite proud of it and found the project to be a great learning expereince.  I learned some types of patterns and stitches I did not like and others that I loved.  Here is a picture of my completed afghan:


My next hero is Cookie A and her sock patterns.  I recently learned to knit socks and since October 2010 when I finished my first pair until now I have made 31 pair of socks!! I suspect I may have a bit of a problem here.  I have my 32nd pair of socks nearly complete and have another pair set to cast on May 1st.  Yup - I think I have a sock kntting addiction.  I have made one pair of Cookie A socks and have many in my queue.  I have plans to knit several pair of her designs - I love them!!  I also love that she has instructions on how to design your own socks in her Sock Innovation book.  I have knit her Monkey Socks and here is a picture of them on my big feet:


To see more great blog week entries check this thread on Ravelry or enter 3KCBWDAY3 into any search engine.

2 comments:

  1. I will have to check out the Barbara Walker book - your blanket looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What pride you must feel whenever you see that afghan! I smile at your sock addiction; I love knitting them but don't knit enough of them.

    ReplyDelete