Monday, June 13, 2011

F is for "Finish it, Frog it, or Free it"

Welcome to my sixth post in the ABC meme.  To see more of these please visit here!!

Today's post for the ABC meme is based on another ABC blog I read and thought was a good idea (sorry for stealing your idea!)  I have to decide what to do with a project.  When I first saw the pattern for the Raspberry Dreams stole I absolutely loved it!! I also thought I had the perfect yarn for it!  This was my first attempt at knitting something in laceweight too.  Well this yarn is slightly fluffy - it has a slight halo on it and I found it nearly imposible to knit with... But I cast on (for the first time) on October 4th 2010.  And I was in trouble...  I used bamboo needles and found the tips too blunt to work with the yarn.

I tried a differnt set of needles - metal and sharper...  Still no success.  Then I tried some Addi Lace circulars - better but I was still having a bear of a time following the pattern. 

Maybe it is just me (several people report finishing this beauty without the heartache I am experiencing).  I dragged it out of it's hiding place a few weeks ago and gave it a go again.  At the end of my second row my stitch count was off again.  I didn't have the heart to frog it yet again (and this yarn is no fun to frog...)  I stuck it back into it's ziplock bag and stuck it away again (I have lost count of how many times I have done this...) 

After nearly nine months of working on this off and on I have decided the frustration is too much.  I knit for pleasure (not pain).  I shall set this yarn free!!

I think I will crochet something with it instead!  I have this pattern and I bet this yarn would look lovely in this stole!!  Some day I might conquer knitting with lace weight yarn.  Maybe some day I will try this stole again using a nice fingering wieght yarn.  But for now I am setting it and myself free!

8 comments:

  1. Life's too short to not enjoy your knitting, I've got a few more UFOs to decide upon :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had such trouble with laceweight, and decided to give up on it for the time being - like Christine said, life's too short ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel your pain!!! I think the wrap is beautiful - yes, do that with your yarn and set it free!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the crochet patten is lovely. I bet you won't have the same trouble with the hook as you did with the needles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The crochet pattern is lovely. I agree with Christine. Life is too short. We knit for pleasure, so if it's not fun or feels like a chore, frog it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It really shouldn't be that painful. The stole is lovely and will make you much happier.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent plan. If you're not enjoying it, there's no point in forcing yourself to do it. It is lovely yarn though =P

    ReplyDelete